Tag Archives: Permanent Residence certificate

Travelling with your RSA Permanent Residence certificate

Travelling with your RSA Permanent Residence certificate

As we all know it has unfortunately become more stringent to travel in and out of South Africa.

What does this mean for you?

If you have been issued with permanent residence under the new immigration law you must travel with their original permanent residence certificate.

Those who already have a permanent residence permit that was issued with a stamp in their passports, have to travel with their original permanent residence certificate at all times.

Please note: Certified copies will not be accepted at the border control. Continue reading


Filed under Immigration

Permanent residence certificate and loss of this document

Once permanent residence has been granted, a permanent residence certificate is issued by the head office of the South African Department of Home Affairs in Pretoria. From there, it is sent on to the regional offices of the department to be handed out to the applicant, who is required to sign for the receipt of his/her certificate. This original permanent residence certificate should be kept in a very safe place! (It may also be advisable to laminate it, to protect it from any possible damage). If the certificate is lost, whether it is your own fault or not, it cannot be re-issued. However, the permanent residence holder can apply to be issued with a confirmation letter from the authorities, which acknowledges the status and replaces the certificate.

Permanent residency holders who are absent for periods of three years or longer may lose their right to permanent residency in South Africa, unless interrupted by a period of sojourn. Continue reading

Leave a Comment

Filed under Immigration