Tag Archives: department of home affairs

Home Affairs responds to accusations regarding VFS Global contract

Home Affairs responds to accusations regarding VFS Global contract

Department of Home Affairs takes a stand on accusations made regarding the outsourcing of visa and permit applications to VFS Global

The Department of Home Affairs (DHA) took a stand on the accusations made on occasion of the Home Affairs Budget Vote Oct. 14, 2016 in Cape Town.

What happened?

signingDHA recently signed with VFS Global, an outsourcing and technology services specialist for governments and diplomatic missions worldwide, to receive and manage visa and permit applications abroad and in South Africa on behalf of the Department.

The decision to approve or reject such applicants however still remains in the hands of the Department. Continue reading

Leave a Comment

Filed under Immigration

FAQ: How to apply for a South African ID Book

3G0A10229SmallSouth African ID Books are issued to South African citizens and Permanent Resident holders from the age of 16 years and onwards. If you are working for the South African government or one of its statutory bodies outside the Republic of South Africa, you are also eligible to receive a South African ID Book.

ID Book Permanent ResidenceThe green bar-coded identity book can be considered as a legal proof of identification in South Africa.

All ID Book applications are done at the respective Departments of Home Affairs or South African Missions or Consulates abroad.

The applications are then sent to the Department of Home Affairs head office in Pretoria where applications are processed and ID Books are generated.

If you are applying for a South African ID Book for the first time, this step by step process is worth a read. Continue reading


Filed under Immigration

NEWS: Children travelling into South Africa need their birth certificates translated into English!

According to the latest announcement of the Department of Home Affairs Spokesperson, Mayihlome Tshwete, birth certificates required by South Africa’s immigration regulations need to be translated into English, so South Africa’s customs officials could read them.SA_flaggeChpapesch1

Due to the current directive which is from 01 June 2015 effective, an unabridged birth certificate – or equivalent, from their country of origin, which must indicate the names of the child´s parents, is required when children travel to, from and through South Africa. Continue reading

Leave a Comment

Filed under Immigration, Social life - others

Public Notice for Quota Work Permit Holders

This information is for everyone who has been issued with a Quota Work Permit and who has to submit an annual confirmation as condition of their permit. For your convenience and perusal take a look at the following recommendations below:

Previously, the Department of Home Affairs was responsible for collecting the documents, p.e. the annual confirmations, which has been changed due to the new Immigration Act. The merge of Quota Work Permit and Exceptional Skills Permit to the Critical Skills Visa lead to the following problem. VFS, which will from now on deal with all kind of immigration applications, didn’t carry over any processes concerning Quota Work Permits, which is quite confusing for people holding such a permit as they don’t know where to submit the required documents. Continue reading


Filed under Immigration