Spousal and life partner visas/permits for South Africa

Spouses of a South African citizens or permanent residents may apply for a life-partner or spousal visa/permit.

In terms of the act both married and unmarried partners are considered spouses as long as they can prove the existence of a spousal relationship.

picture source: http://www.lifehack.org

Proof of financial and emotional support must be submitted and the applicants must be interviewed separately and on the same day by the department.

In case of non-married partners, proof of co- habitation as well as sharing of financial responsibilities for at least 2 years prior must be provided.

After a period of 2 years on a spousal visa, applicants are required to inform the Director-General whether or not the spousal relationship still exists by means of an affidavit.

The spousal visa is normally granted for 2 – 3 years. After 5 years of a proven spousal relationship, applicant may apply for permanent residence.

Studying/working/running one’s own business is only allowed on a spousal visa provided the applicant has the necessary endorsements.

An applicant is free to do as he/she wishes on a spousal permit, since he/she now has permanent residence.

Our services

IBN Business & Immigration Solutions offers a full range of immigration services including the facilitation of entry visas, all types of temporary and permanent residence permits, permits for the accompanying family as well as document procurement and translation.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Leave a Comment

Filed under Immigration

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.