FAQ: What happens if you overstay in South Africa?

For our FAQ series we want to tell you what will happen if you ignore the time of your visa and overstay in South Africa.

frequentlyaskedquestionsWhat happens if you overstay in South Africa and your permit is already expired?

When you stay longer than your visa allows you, there comes along some consequences for you.

If you want to continue to stay in South Africa you need to get legalised before applying for a new visa.

If you travel out of the country, the officials will declare you as undesirable with an official letter. This means that you are not allowed to come to South Africa for the next 1-5 years.

The duration depends on how long you overstayed and if it is the first time. To lift the undesirable status off your name you have to go to the South African Embassy in your home country. But there is unfortunately no time frame of how long this process takes.

After all we cannot guarantee that this does not affect any other visa you need for other countries.

If you have further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter


Filed under Immigration

2 Responses to FAQ: What happens if you overstay in South Africa?

  1. Zanele Dube

    Please assist, what documents does a Zibwabwe citizen married to SA citizen needs to provide when applying for spouse permitt,

    Thank you,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.