FAQ: traveling with children in and out South Africa

(Updated on 13 November 2015, for further information go to: http://ibn.co.za/dha-update-on-travelling-with-children-in-and-out-of-south-africa/)

Referring to one of our previous articles about “Traveling with children” we would like to add this information to our FAQ series as well :


It is not necessary anymore to bring a birth certificate when travelling with children for parents from visa exempt countries (UK, Germany, USA, etc.).

However, although it is not required anymore it is advisable to still have a consent from the other parent in case of travelling with the child alone and to always take identification in addition to passports.

For parents from visa restricted countries (India, Russia, China, etc.) the regulation which was enacted in June 2015 still applies and an unabridged birth certificate is required. The same applies to South African parents travelling outbound with their children.

The human rights commission welcomed the law, to fight the child traffic but it turned out that it brings too many drawbacks for the important tourist sector.

If you travel with a child that is not yours, you will need a written affidavit from both parents or legal guardian consenting the trip, copies of parents or guardian identification book or passport and full contact details of the parents or guardians of the child or children.

You need to apply for the certificate at Home Affairs for a fee of R75 or at an authority of your origin country.

In no case you are allowed to travel without such a certificate. We advice you to travel with the original documents to not get into trouble.

If you have further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Leave a Comment

Filed under Immigration

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.